Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Alta!

(She always gives the horsies a good man-handling)

(gorgeous as ever)
(she mostly liked this ride because of the cool draft of air it blows in your face)
(she is stunned/obsessed/frightened by fire)

Our darling Alta Bear turned 7 today.  Here are 7 reasons to love her:

1.  Her smile: not only is it a gorgeous sight to behold-- with those perfectly-plump, envy-evoking, rosy-red lips-- but it also signifies a genuine regard for the beholder.  She hasn't learned to fake it or manipulate egos for her gain, so it truly is a heart-felt action.
2.  Her sense of wonder and amusement.  For instance, most of us like to look at magazines or books for visual and intellectual stimulation; Alta not only enjoys them for these purposes, but she also loves the sound of crinkling the pages; she loves the feel of the book/magazine on her fingertips; and she even enjoys an occasional smell/taste of the product.  Sometimes I think Alta is just on a higher plane than the rest of us and has mastered the art of the sensory experience.  What a joy it would be to see and experience the world through Alta's eyes; I think that is going to be my special treat when I pass on to the next life.   
3. Her quirks and idiosyncrasies.  Finding amusement in situations where it would be so easy to indulge in frustration really helps when living with Alta.  It's pretty funny to see her touch strangers on the arm as they walk by, and then blatantly smell her hand to detect their scent (maybe she's part vampire).  I also love when she walks in the room with a pant leg wrapped around her arm, a pair of underwear over her shorts and a sock covering her hand like a glove.  There are many more, but I'll stop here since this post is already a short novel.  
4.  Her sweet little spirit.  Since birth all those around her have been able to detect the angelic  eminence that radiates from Alta-- it's basically impossible to be impervious to it.  
5.  I love the language of Alta.  I love her intonation, her cute and dainty voice, that she has the need to finish sentences, and that she says "please, otay (okay)" after every expressed want.  I love that she can and does talk.
6.  I love her cuddles.  She was our little cuddle baby.  Cuddles from Alta are even more meaningful now because they are only permitted when she is the seeker of them.  Jon is the beneficiary of many more cuddles than I am; I love their special bond.
7.  Her glee.  Those that know her best appreciate the sheer enjoyment and the squeals of delight when she rides on a carousel, eats pizza at Chuck E. Cheese's, goes to disneyland, sees animals (in person, or in books), or plays in water.  It is a joy to watch her joy. 

Thank you Heavenly Father for sending Alta to live with us seven years ago.  I know she was sent here to refine us as parents rather than the other way around.  We are blessed.
We love you Bear!
 

9 comments:

Ruth said...

You made me cry with this one. So sweet and all true. I love it when Alta smells someone, thats my absolute favorite! I also love it when she says "ruths house, ruths house". Haapy birthday Alta, I have a box of wet wipe just for you.

Katie Schultz said...

I too am crying, and feel like you truly are blessed with her in your family, I could only wish to be as worthy a parent as you to to be sent such a sweet spirit. Thank you for this post. And Happy Birthday to Alta

acl said...

That was really really sweet lil K. Happy Birthday Alta!

Christy said...

awww...that made me tear up too. Happy Birthday Alta. She's such an angel! I can't believe she's growing up so fast. What a cutie. Glad you had so much fun.

Susie Demke said...

that was so sweet. I think there are a few who come to earth and master perfection. Without ever trying. Alta is sweet and perfect. She's an angel with the looks to boot. I'm so sorry the turtle bit her. But now my children are deathly afraid of "Tortuga" and won't go near him. So it wasn't for nothing.... I don't know if that's much of a consolation.
We love Alta. Thanks for letting Christian practice some parenting skills on her before he got his own. She warmed him up. Happy Birthday Alta. I offer 7 air tosses from Christian for her birthday present. She loves those. 8 if he doesn't pull his groin.

The Gallup Family said...

Awww she is so sweet I do admit we have experienced her love of water. She is so free spirited. We love Alta!

Precia said...

Kristyn - You are such an awesome Mom. I wish we lived closer so you could rub off on me. Alta is so cute. I love the pictures! Thanks for the cry in the middle of the day :)

k berrett said...

wow I can't believe she is already seven! I love reading that and I too got choked up as I read each little statement! Happy Birthday to Alta! Ya'll are awesome and we miss ya'll!

Jill said...

I loved this post...

In response to your softball inquiry, registration closed last week (HUGE BUMMER - I would have loved having you!) but we're just playing a scrimage game this Thursday in Anaheim and we would love to have you join us for that. (Plus I could use any tips you have to offer - I din't know you played!) Let me know...